In this brief guide, we tell you all you need to know about the latest addition to World versus World: Bloodlust and Ruins of Power.
Surprisingly, many people have asked me for information on Bloodlust. It was patched in without much of a fanfare from ArenaNet despite it replacing Orbs and having a massive repercussions on the landscape of all Borderlands.
What this means for the state of play, is that the lake at the center of each Borderland has been replaced by 5 Ruins of Power, as seen in the image below. The Ruins of Power are located in the same place regardless of Borderland and similarly to structured Player versus Player, they can all be captured.
The Ruins of Power have their own geographic theme and name and tend to attract a lot of roaming parties due to the control point system of ownership. Be warned that Battle's Hollow in particular (western point) attracts many players looking for fights.
- Bauer's Estate
- Orchard Overlook
- Battle's Hollow
- Carver's Ascent
Any server which is capable of holding 3 of the 5 ruins for a period of 2 minutes will earn one rank of Borderlands Bloodlust. This buff isn't permanent however, and if you don't leave someone on the ruins the capture will decay leaving you with a need to recapture it.
After you have captured 3 of the 5 ruins, a countdown will begin. As noted above, if successfully held for a period of 2 minutes everyone on your server who is participating in World versus World will receive a Bloodlust buff. For each rank of Bloodlust that your server has, everyone will receive 50 additional attribute points, maximising at +150. In addition to this, each person you kill while Bloodlusted will provide your server with 1 additional realm point. Please note that the Bloodlust buff will only stay active as long as you hold 3 of the 5 ruins.
Minor Borderlands Bloodlust
Major Borderlands Bloodlust
Superior Borderlands Bloodlust
1. If you're intent on securing Bloodlust for your server, ensure it is you and 2 other friends. If need be, ask for assistance when you enter the Borderlands. You need to keep 3 points, so grouping up makes it a whole lot easier.
2. Be aware that the Ruins are a hot-spot for roaming activity. It isn't uncommon to see groups of thieves, bunker elementalists or even mesmers worming their way through the new area in search of duels and small skirmishes. Be prepared to fight back.
3. Don't go glass-cannon. It might sound obvious, but if you're holding a capture point you need to ensure you aren't going to die in one hit. I'm not suggesting that you need to go all out toughness but it's well worth taking appropriate skills that will improve your survivability or hinder your foes.
4. Knowing your routes and terrain is important in the new area. It's full of varying levels and hiding holes. My favourite location to enter the area is from the Orchard (plenty of cover) and to exit using Temple as you can skip straight over the bridge and into the water to Greenbriar (or the corresponding tower, dependent on borderland).
5. It seems many servers are still undervaluing Bloodlust, which is a huge statistical boost for all players but also a huge points boost over the course of an evening. To put it into real terms, an increase of 150 extra precision is around 9% extra critical hit chance at level 80. That is a considerable jump in terms of your damage output. So if you have the time, make sure you and a small roaming party help out your server by securing the buff.