Conjured weapons are unique to the elementalist in Guild Wars 2. Sure, they have some similarities to Spirit Weapons and Weapon Kits, but they are actually rather different. The skill is ground targeted and gives you a weapon replacement and places one on the ground for someone else to use (including yourself). Each weapon has a specific number of charges and they all last sixty seconds.
A lot of players dismiss conjured weapons as a gimmick, but they are actually quite powerful, and unlock some unique playstyles that you wouldn’t normally associate with a caster. For instance, Conjure Earth Shield allows an elementalist to play defensively in the front-line and even able to take a few hits without any repercussions.
Conjured Weapons Basics
Conjured weapons are summonable weapons that act like bundles, replacing your weapon skill bar with new skills. The skills is ground targeted, giving you a weapon instantly on skill use and throwing a bundle on the ground for another player (or yourself) to use. They last a total if sixty seconds and have 15 charges by default. Activating any skill will consume one charge.
The trait Conjurer gives ten additional charges for each conjured weapon, which is a must take for the melee weapons because of how fast you can chew through charges.
Flame Axe (Lava Axe)
- Lave Axe – Throws an axe at your opponent.
- Explosive Lava Axe – Ground targeted AoE.
- Burning Retreat – Same as on the staff, evade backward putting down a fire wall.
- Ring of Fire – Same as on the dagger, damage and burn nearby foes.
- Flame Leap – Leap at your foe and apply 15 seconds of burning.
The flame axe is a decent contender for a tier 1 utility skill. It’s sort of a mid-range weapon with your skill 1 having 900 range. It is pure DPS, with skill 1 being your single target, skill 2 being your AoE, and the other three dealing with evasion and closing the distance. There isn’t much to say on this one and not many situations where it’s hyper relevant, unless you’re trying to stack burning or want to close / gain distance very quickly.
Earth Shield (Magnetic Shield)
- Shield Smack – Melee hit.
- Crippling Shield – Throws your shield in a line in front of you, crippling enemies.
- Magnetic Surge – Run at an enemy and daze them.
- Magnetic Shield – Pull nearby enemies to you.
- Fortify – Become invulnerable for three seconds.
This weapon is great, it gives you some solid defense with fortify, some great control with three control focused abilities, and still lets you attack. This is something that’s awesome for point defense or to casually have in dungeons to throw to the person who is keeping enemies busy. It’s also great in PvP to throw down to give someone a breather or to do a big pull in PvE (gather enemies and then fortify).
Frost Bow (Ice Bow)
- Water Arrow – Shoots an arrow that heals nearby allies on hit.
- Frost Volley – Shoot multiple arrows applying vulnerability.
- Frost Fan – Shoots arrows in a frontal arc applying chill.
- Ice Storm – A regular AoE attack.
- Deep Freeze – Locks the enemy in a block of ice.
This one is kind of odd, since most of the abilities are already available to an elementalist in one form or another, but the Deep Freeze is super important. It locks someone down into a block of ice that they can’t escape from. In PvE it’s great to gain distance (assuming the enemy isn’t immune) and in PvP it can disable the support character for a long enough time to get someone down.
Lightning Hammer (Lightning Hammer)
- Lightning Swing, Static Swing, and Thunderclap – Deals damage, the third attack blinds.
- Lightning Leap – Jump at an enemy.
- Wind Blast – Knocks an enemy back.
- Lightning Storm – AoE around you.
- Static Field – Static Field that isn’t ground targetable.
This is an actual decent melee weapon that deals a considerable amount of damage. You’ll burn through the charges fast, but the damage is actually impressive for a lot of professions, not just the elementalist. There are a lot of builds circling around with melee elementalists who use lightning hammer with a lot of success. Wind Blast is great as an interrupt/knockback.
Fiery Greatsword (Fiery Greatsword)
- Flame Wave – Shoot fireballs from range.
- Fiery Eruption – Applies burning to nearby foes.
- Fiery Whirl – You swing the sword around dealing damage while charging forward.
- Fiery Rush – Charge an enemy and put a firewall down.
- Firestorm – AoE ability.
This is an elite and kind of a neat one. It deals a very large amount of damage, especially fiery rush if you can keep your character spinning up against someone. The skill 1 is pretty good for damage, although I don’t like the time it takes for fiery eruption to go off. Firestorm is an OK AoE. I’d use this in situations you’re facing a lot of enemies and want to fiery rush through them.
Well that’s the conjured weapons, their abilities, and a look at the uses for each. What’s your favorite weapon? Let us know in the comments section below.