When leveling your character there are a few tricks to keep yourself well ahead of the curve and allow you to reap some serious benefits and these ten I find are most important for every player to know. Use these to get the most experience out of a dungeon, as a basic guide for the Trading Post and Mystic Forge or as a simple guide for making gold.
1. Leveling a new character and playing them all the way through zones to get more achievement points? Got a few spare Experience Boosters? Upgrade them to Improved Experience Boosters that STACKS WITH normal Experience Boosters, Foods, Guild Buffs and Banner buffs. ( Check out our Consumable Guide which explains all sorts of buffs in full! Click here!)
2. Also, while leveling, do make a note to go out of your way to kill various yellow named mobs like Moas. Mobs can give bonus experience depending upon how long they've been in the world, and yellow mobs tend to be left untouched which means you can get up to a 200% bonus in experience when killing them.
Bahahaah! This is what you get for being an innocent bystander!
3. Another tip while leveling is to buy all the equipment you need from the Trading Post. All the equipment will be mostly dirt cheap and will be better than most things you find from Karma vendors and from drops. At about level 60 stick to blue or green items just to avoid the mark ups due to ectoplasm salvaging from yellow items.
4. Need some keys for all those Black Lion Chests? Make a new character and run them through the personal story until you get the first Black Lion Key reward! Has been okay'd by ArenaNet to do this! (Link to the thread here.)
5. Know all those Mystic Forge Stones those of you with 1,000 Achievement points got recently? They can be used to make a Mystic Salvage Kit or (and more importantly) used as a “random fourth item of equal rarity to other items put in the forge”. Meaning that if you put 3 exotic items in the forge a Mystic Forge Stone will count has a fourth random exotic item.
6. Want a cheaper way to travel to all the different racial towns or even Lion's Arch? Click the crossed sword icon in the top left of your screen (PvP tab) and click “Go to the Heart of the Mists”. After doing a quick “tutorial” world, you will then be put in a new zone which has an Asura Gate right across from you. Walk through it and you'll instantly be in Lion's Arch and from there to any of the different racial towns for free!
7. Some basic advice to handle your drops, obviously adjust this to your needs!
- Salvage white items for Resources to either keep or sell to the Trading Post.
- Vendor blue items.
- Check the Trading Post on green items to see if they are worth more than the vendor.
- Salvage level 68 or higher yellow items for a decent chance to get 1-3 ectoplasms with a Black Lion Salvage Kit or Mystic/Master's Salvage Kit (Trading Post everything below 68 if you don't need them) OR keep them to Mystic Forge them into a potential Precursor.
- Trading Post or Mystic Forge (high level ones for a Precursor) any Exotic items you don't want.
8. When salvaging all those yellow items you'll tend to get a lot of runes and sigils. Four identically tiered runes and sigils can be Mystic Forged for a chance to upgrade it to the next tier of power. (IE: 4 Major Runes can be upgraded to a random Superior Rune)
9. Save your Karma until you're in Orr. The only things you should really ever purchase with Karma are: Obsidian Shards, Lost Orrian Jewelry Boxes, Exotic items, Items with skins you like and food and alcohol for the achievements associated with them.
10. Make a guild that only has you in it and put enough influence in it to get a Guild Bank. Essentially you get free storage space without having to buy a Bank expansion tab!
Yes. It's full of Candy Corn. Don't judge me!